If this winter you are planning on taking your car abroad then there are several things that you may not be aware of that are essential if you want to avoid problems.

Quite often, holidaymakers decide to ditch their budget flight abroad and opt for a slightly lengthy, but arguably more scenic and enjoyable, car journey abroad. There are, however, driving concerns other than remembering to stay on the right-hand side of the road and adjusting the beam pattern of your vehicle’s headlights, namely, remembering to bring – and keep in the vehicle – certain documents and safety equipment.

According to the AA it is important to keep certain driving documents with you while driving as you may be asked to produce them at any time. If they are not in order and readily available then you may risk being issued a fine or worse; having your car taken off you. It is your responsibility when travelling to ensure that you have all valid documentation to comply with the requirements of immigration, customs, health and other relevant regulations. So, in order to ensure that your driving experience abroad remains enjoyable, take note of the following general advice:

Documents to take

  • Valid full (not provisional) driving licence
  • Driving licence paper counterpart – if you have a photocard licence
  • An International Driving Permit (when necessary)
  • Vehicle registration document (V5c) – the original not a copy
  • Motor insurance certificate
  • Passport(s)

Of course, we advise all customers who wish to travel and drive in another country to check their insurance policy to make sure that they have adequate cover. Most insurers will want to be informed if you are travelling abroad and some may only offer reduced cover if you do.

Take care when travelling this winter, especially if driving, and make sure that you have the motor insurance that you expect. Alternatively, contact Academy Insurance and we can find the right insurance product to suit you. Call us now or book a call here.