Recently we have seen more and more news reports of people and properties being devastated by flooding. If it wasn’t enough for Britain to have a rather “wet” summer, the rain is back again, and with a vengeance.

So, we’ve picked out a few tips that will help you if your house has already suffered flooding or if it is situated in a high risk flood zone.

With much of the UK experiencing heavy rain and flooding, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) is reminding property owners to:

  • Make sure that they have important documents, such as contact details for their home buildings, contents, and motor insurer, as well as emergency contact details for the local authority, gas, electric and water companies together in a safe place.
  • Listen to regular weather updates and information from the Environment Agency.
  • If high winds expected then, where possible, secure items like ladders in gardens which could cause damage.

Anyone who suffers damage caused by floods or high winds should:

  • Contact their insurer. Most will have 24 hour emergency helplines to get claims moving as quickly as possible.
  • If needed, arrange any temporary repairs to stop the damage getting worse. Keep receipts as they will form part of your claim.

The ABI insists that Home insurance will usually cover the costs of any temporary accommodation needed if the property is uninhabitable while drying out and being repaired but it is best to check with your insurance provider or broker to find out exactly what you are covered for.

Academy Insurance specialise in providing competitive insurance for homes at risk of flooding. We know that you need house insurance even more when you have a flood risk and we take the view that every home is different.

We work with panel of leading insurers and Lloyds underwriters who specialise in offering flood insurance cover so we have access to some of the most competitive rates in the industry.

Why not give us a call or book one here ?