If you are a landlord renting to students there are a few key things you should know:

Make sure you have a HHRS (Housing health and safety rating system) compliance certificate. Legally this is something you have to have if you plan to rent to students. The system sets out standards for asbestos, sanitation and hygiene as well as the structure of the building so it’s quite a complex and demanding certificate. The local council have the power to enforce this standard and they also have the power to penalise non-compliant landlords too so this is not something that should be overlooked.

According to the National Landlords Association (NLA) if you are letting your house out to three or more unrelated tenants then you let a shared house and you will need to get hold of an HMO (House of Multiple Occupancy) certificate. This is another compulsory standard that is designed to protect the student community from “rogue” landlords. Essentially this is a safety certificate so in order to comply you need to make sure you have adequate fire exits, fire doors and a proper fire drill in place.

Security is another big concern. Students are a major target for burglars so be sure to fit adequate door and window locks to any student properties. A burglar alarm is also a good deterrent.

Make sure you are covered with suitable buy to let insurance. This sort of insurance is sometimes known as landlords insurance and will cover the additional risks involved in renting out your home but tends not to cover, or will only cover you partly, for tenants who either can’t or won’t pay the rent. To prevent this you should speak with your insurer to ensure that you have a policy that suits you.

Why not book a call with us to see how we can help?